This calculator is intended to be used only for the purpose of assessing and demonstrating potential cost savings ranges under normalized hospital cost conditions. The results and outcomes are estimations only and should not be interpreted as a guarantee or warranty of similar results. It does not suggest a definitive review of actual costs and savings incurred in a hospital. Savings are estimates only and specific to the individual case. Savings may not be typical and may vary.
* These data points are projected annual numbers.
(1) Taheri PA et al. Length of stay has minimal impact on the cost of hospital admission. J Am Coll Surg 2000;191:123–130 and Milbrandt EB et al. Growth of intensive care unit resource use and its estimated cost in Medicare. Crit Care Med 2008; 36:2504–2510, both in Slight, S. P.,et al Return on Investment of Implementing a Continuous Monitoring System in General Medical-Surgical Units. 2014. Society Critical Care Medicine. ($920 direct variable cost per day as updated to 2020).
(2) Increased LOS (length of stay) per fall is 9.0 days. Morello et al., 2015, (14.0 days average length of stay for all falls patients – 5.0 average length of stay without fall)
(3) Staggs VS, Dunton N. (2014) Associations between rates of unassisted inpatient falls and levels of registered and non-registered nurse staffing. Int J Qual Health Care. Feb;26(1):87-92. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzt080. Epub 2013 Nov 13. PMID: 24225270; PMCID: PMC3914564
(4) Morello RT, et al., (2015) The extra resource burden of in-hospital falls: a cost of falls study. Med J Aust. 2015 Nov 2;203(9):367.doi:10.5694/mja15.00296. PMID: 26510807. (Number of patients with falls X 9.0 days increased LOS due to fall X $920 direct variable cost per day)
(5) Pasa, et al., (2017) Risk assessment and incidence of falls in adult hospitalized Patients. Rev. Latino-Am. Enfermagem 2017;25:e2862. Moderate to High Falls Risk Rate is 74.8%. (P.4 Moderate Risk of 37.1% + High Risk of 37.7% = 74.8%)
(6) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS) 2009-2018 (all available data as of 01/27/21). 2018 U.S. Hospital Average Length of Stay = 4.7 days.
(7) Definitive Healthcare. National Benchmark Utilization Rate (Occupancy Rate) is 61%. 2021.